Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Deer Park family's dog mistakenly euthanized.



DEER PARK, Texas — A dog owner in Deer Park is trying to make sense out of how her dog was euthanized.
It happened last week when a note was left at her door. It read, “Dog was loose and attacked mail carrier please call.”
So, Rosalyn Pichon called Deer Park Animal Control.
“I said, 'I’m the lady that you left the card in the door,'” said Pichon. “I said,  'What happened?' He said, 'Well he attacked the mailman, but he didn’t bite the mailman.'”
Pichon says her 10-year-old chow and pit bull mix named Newt wasn’t aggressive and questioned what really happened.
Nonetheless, her dog was picked up on Monday and she called first thing Tuesday about picking him up. She called again on Wednesday and agreed that between her work schedule and the pound’s hours, that Friday would work best.
That was, until her phone rang on Thursday.
“The supervisor called me Thursday morning at work and there was a mix up,” she recalled from the conversation. “We euthanized your dog, and I said, ‘What do you mean? I was coming to get him.’”
No one from Deer Park Animal Control would talk on camera, but did provide information on this case by phone. A supervisor admitted a mistake was made when an employee didn’t pass the word that the owner had called and planned to pick up the dog. 
Disciplinary action is being taken against that employee.
In the meantime, a supervisor did offer Pichon another pet.
“He said, 'If you want to, you can come and get a puppy,'” said Pichon. “I said, 'No way.' What would I get a puppy for? That’s not supposed to make me feel like everything is OK.

No comments: